Sunday, August 28, 2011

The last post!


It’s really happening. It’s really my last day. On my last day I was a busy bee. I woke up in the morning early because Camilla wanted to meet for coffee early, but then I got a message from her in the morning saying hey lets meet later. So I called my friend Elin, she had gotten knee surgery on Monday and had asked me to dinner at her place on Wednesday but then felt sick, then Thursday and felt worse, but she felt better and said that I should come over for lunch. She said to come at 1pm which meant I had time in the morning. There was an exhibit at the palace armory that I felt seeing signs for called Royal Vintage, so I decided to check it out. I biked to Old Town and got there when the museum opened. It was a really cool exhibit of gowns that the princesses and queens of Sweden have worn.


Most of them done by Swedish designers, which was cool to see. There were also exhibits in the museum of carriages and just other clothing and artifacts from the Royal Family.

It’s so odd to still have a royal family to me, just because its something we don’t have. After I finished there, I was cold; it was really cold in the museum because it was underneath the palace. I needed a cup of tea; I went to a café in a cute square near the palace and sat outside drinking tea and eating a pastry.

I was done eating and I still had about an hour and a half before I needed to leave. I wanted to go to the abbey that I had walked by a few days earlier, where all the kings and queens are buried. What a beautiful place it was, but the even more beautiful part than the church was coffins that they were buried in. They were decorated with gold and so shiny. Just glowing in the dark of the church.

Perfect things to buried in. It was time for me to go to central station after the church; I walked back through Old Town to my bike and biked over to central station.

(Look at these mail boxes, so cute)


Where there was a gymnastics group performing, I had a few minutes to sit and watch before I needed to catch the train. I got on the train and got to Elin’s about 30 minutes later. She lives in a cute little Swedish version of suburbs.

Poor girl has crutches and bandages on both knees, her friend Martina was there also, and Sofia and her boyfriend also. We made soup and some other things for lunch and sat outside and ate.

As we were eating the topic of the states came up and they started talking about Arkansas, and Lyndsey. Then Elin was like hey I have a scrapbook we should look at it. So she got it and we looked at their trip to the states, there were lots of pictures with them and Lyndsey. It was so great. I met them when I visited Lyndsey and now here I am in Sweden with them.

Small world. Around 4 pm, everyone else had left and I had told Diana that I would come out to her house that was little farther in the same direction as Elins. I said bye to Elin, and I almost cired. Its sad not knowing when I will see all these friends again. But by time I was leaving and on the bus to Diana’s I realized it was pointless to go all that way because we had to be back in town by 6pm for dinner. So I got off at Drottingholm and waited for Diana there, I laid on a bench near the castle and the water. Then she told me her bus was coming and I got on the bus and there she was. We rode it back to central station to get the bike. And took the bike for one last double bike ride through the city. I biked this time and Diana sat behind. I finally figured out how to do it. Yay. On my last day. We then waited at Mariatorget Square for Izabelle for dinner. We went to get a quick dinner and Camilla met us there. We ate and then went to bowling, Camilla came and bowled one time and then gave up, but before she left she gave me a gift, it was all the best Swedish candy and a Camilla Wellton wallet. It was very sweet of her. The rest of us stayed and bowled for 2 hours. I was winning until I suggested we do crazy bowling.

And then I got like no points the whole game. It was super fun. I felt very American bowling.

It was nice to have friends together at the end to say bye. After bowling, we went to get ice-cream and then everyone but Diana went home. And we were sitting outside and Moon, my roommate’s girlfriend walked by and said they were going to karaoke. We thought it was a sign, because Diana and I had been wanting to do karaoke for weeks. So we went to this place she said, but it was a Thai bar, so everyone there was thai but we didn’t care we just wanted to sing. And then a guy thought Diana was very pretty so he bought us free drinks and we sang our song “Underneath Your Clothes” by Shakira.

We hung out for a bit more and around 11:30 headed home. I cleaned a little more and made sure I had everything. Set 2 alarms and went to bed.

I woke up in the morning very anxious; nervous I would miss my flight. Jennifer said she would drive me but she had been sick for the past few days so I was scared she would not wake up or be too sick to drive me. But she came at 7am and I had my room all cleaned and met her downstairs with my bags. We got to the airport around 7:40am, plenty early. I checked my bags, both overweight but it was a boy checking me and he let me slide. J So I didn’t have to pay anything. Woo. I said goodbye to Jennifer and that was it I was leaving Sweden. Everything went well with the flight; the meal was even Swedish meet balls and mashed potatoes. And I had a window seat! It was great. Now I am sitting in Chicago airport waiting for my flight to St. Louis. It feels funny to be back in the States to be honest, everything is in English, and the portions of food are huge. And the best part is that when I was getting lunch the woman was like where are you from, and I said here. And she was like no way, you are from the Ukraine or German or somewhere in Eastern Europe. Ha ha. I told her I wasn’t and everyone who worked there was like yea you look really European. It was so funny. I loved it. Anyway this is it. The end of my blog. The end of my summer in Sweden. It was truly an amazing experience that doesn’t even feel real right now, it doesn’t even feel like I was just in Sweden this morning. But it was real and that’s the best part.


(My airport arrival :) )

Thank you all for reading my blog. I hope you found it entertaining. J

No comments:

Post a Comment