Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Museum Sandwhich


My day was a museum sandwich to sum it up. Maybe thats all I should say. What a great blog post that would be. ;) But basically it went Tate Modern, From Somewhere (redesign company), Victoria and Albert Museum. Ill start at the beginning though for all you loyal followers. I woke up and Adam was leaving for work, so I made myself some tea, got dressed, ate some breakfast and began my day of 'hallering'.

(Adam's Living Room)

I first wanted to go to the Tate Modern since Nick raved about it, and now I see why. As a lover of modern art it really was a wonderful museum. The best part, a whole room of Mark Rothko, I sat in there for probably 20 minutes in awe, he is probably my favorite artist.

Followed by Roy Lichtenstein, which they also had.



The whole musuem was just such a great stop, very inspiring as I head into the start of school soon... After spending a few hours there, I walked accross the river to the subway and followed the directions I had written down to get to the From Somewhere studio, but when I got to the subway stop that it had told me, I was no where near where I should have been, and I had no map, my phone couldnt call adam and somehow my paper with directions fell out of my pocket.

(Baker Street Station Wall)

So I asked someone how to get to Portobello Road, and they were like well you are way off, you need to go to Notting Hill, which was another 15 minute ride on the tube. Oh boy. I got to Notting Hill and still had no idea where Portobello Road was, but I asked around and wandered and finally found it. It was exciting on that street, everyone had their goods outside and there were just lots of people on the streets, lots of really cute shops and beatiful townhomes down the side streets.


I found From Somewhere, and they were all in the middle of their lunch break. But they let me in, they were all very nice and I talked to them about the future and what they are doing and how they are doing it. And it seems promising. I just need to make sure I keep in touch. After that, they pointed out a closer way to get to the subway so I headed to the Victoria and Albert Musuem. Man is that place overwhelming, its HUGE! And there is so much to see. I wandered through gallery after gallery of everything from Chinese art to ironwork to photography to masonry. It was insane.


By this time it was about 5 and I needed to go meet Adam at work. But first I wanted to go buy us tickets to see a show that night. I had research a half price ticket booth and now it was just finding it. At this point I realized a map would have been very beneficial but Id made it through the whole day without it so I figured I didnt need one. I found the ticket booth easily, and bought us tickets to We Will Rock You, a show that only plays in London and is centered on Queen songs. The problem was getting from there to Adams work, when all I had was the street name. I followed signs to Soho, but that didnt help too much. I found Soho square and remembered being there, so I just relied on my gut sense of direction and somehow miraculous found it within not too long a time.

(Adam working away)

I got to his work and talked to some of his coworkers and at 6pm, they told him to go home. We went back to his place and changed for the show.

(Nick you would have loved this show! Wish you could have been here)

The show started at 7:30, it was a very interesting show, the storyline was a little odd but very entertaining and just fun. Neither Adam or I knew many Queen songs but it was a great time, everyone clapping and dancing in their seats when their favorite songs were sung, and the actors looked like they loved it too. After the show we were hungry so we found a cute little dinner place and got mini burgers and wine.


We tried to decide if it was better to stay up till I had to leave at 3am or go to bed for a few hours. We got back to his place by 11:30pm and thought we should sleep, we both set alarms but something went wrong because at 4:46 I hear Adam knocking on my door and I was still asleep, turns out we both overslept. I got dressed quick and hopped in a cab to the train station, but my flight was supposed to leave at 6am, there was no way I would make it. I got there and my flight had just departed. I was so mad at myself, all this planning to get there super early and I had missed my flight. Next time I will set 2 alarm clocks, so that this cant happen again. Anyway there was another flight at 10:50am to Stockholm. So I spent 4 hours in the airport waiting for my flight. It went smoothly then I had an 80 minute bus ride, which I tried to pay for on my card and it wasnt working, for some reason I think their machine was broken because other peoples cards didnt work either. And then this boy about my age offered to buy me a ticket, and I could just go to the ATM when we got into the city. So thats what we did. I got back to Stockholm and then we got an ATM and I gave him money and thanked him a lot for helping me out. I was so tired at this point. Ive spent the night showering, packing a little, and updating this blog. But now its time for me to go bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment